Maria’s Packaged Goods and Community Bar
19 Nov 2015
Maria’s Packaged Goods & Community Bar has been operating in Bridgeport since 1986 as a classic slashie – half liquor store, half neighborhood tavern. It was formerly known as Kaplan’s Liquors in homage to the original owners who founded it in 1939. But everyone in the neighborhood calls it Maria’s, named after its owner, Mrs. Marszewski. In the summer of 2010 Maria handed over the reins of the business to her two sons, Ed and Mike, who have worked the counter and stick with her these past two decades. They reopened the bar and officially dubbed it Maria’s to honor their mother (who is known as the Peggy Guggenheim of Bridgeport and called ‘mom’ by many of the locals).
960 W 31st Street
Chicago, IL 60608
Visit Us Online